If you’re going to commit your time to the daily grind of running a tarot business, you’ll need to be motivated every day because it’s hard out here for a tarot pimp (and even harder if you are a tarot wimp).
I look for inspiration everywhere. And I bet you think my main motivational revelations come from the words of business geniuses such as Donald Trump or Marie Forleo. Or perhaps from tarot superstars such as Mary Greer or Rachel Pollack. Well, you are mistaken, my friend.
Don’t get me wrong – those people light a much needed fire under my can. But my best badass business inspiration actually comes from hip hop artists. Yup. You read that right.
Now before you say WTH and back away with hands in the air and a look of disbelief on your face, let me tell you this: my admiration for rappers isn’t just because I like the beat (or think they are sex-say). I like the way these cats do their thang, man. They run their businesses with cunning street sense, amazing vision and giant fearless BALLS.
And hear this: many of them come from very difficult backgrounds. Most do not hold an MBA. In fact, it’s EXTREMELY unusual to find a rapper that comes from a silver spoon ivy league educated background like Donald Trump. But that doesn’t stop them from succeeding. These guys make it because they set the intention and do it.
Do you think Jay Z let his hardscrabble childhood keep him from becoming one of the richest men in the world? Nope! Did 50 Cent let a hail of gunshots stop him from being one of the most respected rappers in the industry? HELL NO. So let me ask my fellow tarot readers this: what is stopping you from pursuing your dream to become a professional reader?
Let me dig into some of my favorite rap lyrics that keep me inspired to quit whining and keep on grindin’ and flipping those cards day in and day out like a true tarot thug:
- “Check yourself before you wreck yourself.” ~ Ice Cube. Before you begin your business, it’s important to reflect on your motivation and to get your personal act together. Money is a good motivator but you must have a burning, yearning passion for tarot and for helping others if you intend to make this your occupation. It can’t just be about the Benjamins (moola). Oh, and if you are going to be doling out spiritual advice to others, you better have your own life in order. This work will drain the life out of you if you cannot manage to get your own house clean. Make your dysfunctions functional and ground yourself.
- “Gangstas don’t hide so I show my face often.” ~ Slim Thug. You can’t make a living if you are the best kept secret in your industry. You will have to market your business. Learn how to promote yourself properly (social media is a great tool). And more important: be AUTHENTICALLY you. Don’t be a weak ass imitation of anyone else. Put your true self out there, heart on the line, face on the screen. Let people know the REAL trill you. Get your website up NOW and get your grill out there.
- “I’m A Self Made Trillioinaire.” ~ Bun B. It may be tempting to put your business in the hands of someone else and let them host your site through their Ning thing or tweet for you but it is always best to maintain total control of your own content and empire. Get your own url and host your own damn site (I recommend WordPress). Be intimately involved with the running of your business, including your own marketing. Don’t give someone the power to pull the plug on your tarot empire. Be self made, not dependent on anyone. (PS It’s not as hard as you think. If I can do it, YOU CAN.)
- “Paid the cost like a Boss.” ~ Slim Thug. Sure, you can do some things for free but at some point you will have to invest in your business if you wish to grow it. Paying for an office, accountant, computer, education, tarot conferences, lawyer and marketing may seem like a scary thing but let me tell you this: whenever I have invested in my business, it GREW by a major leap. You have to spend some money if you want to make money. Stop being a cheap ass and invest in your career. It will pay off. Trust me on that.
- “Go on brush your shoulders off.” ~ Jay Z. Sadly, you will attract some haters at some point in your career (this happens in EVERY career – tarot readers aren’t the only ones singled out as pariahs in their community). Negative feedback and criticism may hit you from people who don’t believe in the tarot; it may come from fellow tarotists or your own family. Let it go. Focus on good tarot and leave those haters in your dust.
- “The bigger the bullet, the more that bitch gonna bang.” ~ Rick Ross. Think you are going to raise your street cred by talking trash on a public forum? Think again. Dissing others to make yourself look big will eventually backfire on your sorry ass. Treat your fellow tarot peeps with respect. Don’t like someone? Keep it on the lowdown. Allow people to save face even if you think they are whack. Being courteous is not just good manners, it’s how pros operate. Remember this – no one likes a hater.
- “Is it worth it – let me work it.” ~ Missy Elliot. Being a tarot reader is definitely “worth it”. Every day, you get the opportunity to help people find direction and better their lives. You’ll have to work harder than you ever thought possible. But it is THE most rewarding career that you will ever have. So stop waiting. JUST DO IT.
Now go on wid yo bad self and start flipping those cards and living your tarot dream. No more excuses. Word.
© Theresa Reed | The Tarot Lady 2011
special thanks to taoxproductions for the superfly image
Who inspires you? Where do you get the motivation for your career? Post your role models and their brilliance in the comment section below: